EPA Launches Green Infrastructure Collaborative
EPA and six government agencies release letter of support for green infrastructure
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) launched a Green Infrastructure Collaborative with the support of six other government agencies at the President’s State, Local and Tribal Leaders Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience. EPA joined with the U.S. Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Interior, U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. Department of Energy to release a Federal Letter of Support for green infrastructure and the collaborative with agency commitments, including:
- Technical assistance to provide on-the-ground support aimed at creating integrated green storm water management and hazard mitigation plans;
- Recognizing innovative green infrastructure projects;
- Working with states to integrate ecosystems and transportation planning;
- Incorporating green infrastructure practices into agency facilities or lands;
- Emphasizing connections to green infrastructure in existing grant programs; and
- Distilling and broadly disseminating the best ideas and lessons learned from existing grant programs.
Over the coming weeks, EPA will engage with a range of both public and private organizations to expand this collaborative and align resources to provide a platform for sharing best practices, provide on-the-ground community support, develop actionable planning tools for decision-makers, conducting research on increasing affordability and effectiveness, and align public and private knowledge and resources to promote green infrastructure.
EPA also launched brand new Web content to demonstrate how green infrastructure can be used as an important tool for building community resilience to climate change impacts such as increased heavy rainfall and heat island effect, including an infographic and fact sheet.
More like this
- Municipal Water Leaders, Federal Agencies Collaborate on Climate Change Resilience
- EPA Strategic Plan Charts Direction for Next Four Years
- EPA Releases New Policy Statement on Climate Change Adaptation
- EPA Accepts Applications for Smart Growth Assistance Program
- EPA Releases Climate Plans for Obama’s Sustainability Initiative