Top Quality Plants, Individuals Honored by ACPA
QCast Awards recognize plants scoring 95% or better on 2013 quality audits
To recognize those plants that stand above the rest on the most important measures of production quality, the American Concrete Pipe Assn. (ACPA) established its annual QCast Awards.
The ACPA’s “Quality Cast” Plant Certification Program, commonly known as QCast, is the recognized standard for quality assurance in the concrete pipe industry. The QCast program covers the inspection of materials, finished products and handling/storage procedures, as well as performance testing and quality control documentation. Plants may be certified in storm sewer and culvert pipe, sanitary sewer, box culverts, three-sided structures, manholes and precast structures.
Plants in each of the certification categories that score 95% or better on their annual QCast audit are recognized with the ACPA QCast Awards. From these honorees, one overall winner is selected in each category.
The ACPA recognized its 2013 QCast Awards winners during a special ceremony at its annual Pipe School held in Houston last month. The overall winners are:
- Combined Sanitary & Storm Sewer: Cretex Concrete Products, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Storm Sewer: Hanson Pipe & Precast, Jersey Village, Texas
- Box Culvert: Johnson County Pipe, Alvarado, Texas
- Sanitary Manholes: Cretex Concrete Products, Shakopee, Minn.
- Manholes: Cretex Concrete Products, Elk River, Minn.
- Precast: Precast Concepts, Grand Junction, Colo
Also during the 2014 Pipe School, the ACPA took the opportunity to recognize other important contributors to the industry. The following individuals were honored during the ceremony:
- Jeff Hite of Rinker Materials received the Mel Marshall Award for contributions to education or quality;
- Pat Liston of Hanson Pipe & Precast won the President’s Award for Marketing Excellence; and,
- Derek Light of Inland Pipe received the Richard C. Longfellow Award, which is presented to the author of the best Concrete Pipe News article of the year.
In addition, the ACPA announced the latest winners of its P3 Awards, which recognize successful completion of its Professional Pipe Promotion online training course. The P3 program offers advanced training in both the technical and sales and marketing attributes of reinforced concrete pipe (RCP), equipping participants with the tools and information necessary to provide a consistent message to customers, specifiers and rule-makers. By completing the various P3 training modules, pipe professionals can achieve a “Pipe Pro” and/or “RCP Master” level of knowledge.
This year’s P3 Awards were presented to Kelly Peterich and Brandy Lang, both from Rinker Materials—Concrete Pipe Division CEMEX, and Brandon Christiansen from Cretex Concrete Products.