May 09, 2018

Fort Bend, Texas, Receives $52 Million in Post-Harvey Funding

The funds will be used to address drainage and erosion control issues in watersheds impacted by the August 2017 hurricane

Texas county receives post-Harvey erosion control funding
Texas county receives post-Harvey erosion control funding

The Fort Bend County Drainage District has been awarded more than $52 million from the National Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) Emergency Watershed Program. The Texas county will use the funding to address repairs and restoration to bayous and creeks damaged during Hurricane Harvey, as reported by The Houston Chronicle

The emergency funding will cover 90% of the construction costs in Cane Island Branch of Willow Creek, Willow Fork of Buffalo Bayou and Oyster Creek. The remaining 10% of costs will be footed by Fort Bend County. Officials hope the funding will address drainage and erosion issues that arose during Hurricane Harvey and to secure additional funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for continued repairs. 

“In the wake of Harvey’s destruction, Fort Bend County County Commissioners Court and the Fort Bend County Drainage District have prioritized many miles of Precinct 3 drainage channels for repair and construction,” Fort Bend County Commissioner Andy Meyers said in an April 17 announcement. “These funds from the Emergency Watershed Program will be carefully used to maximize and leverage the work that our own department have been undertaking over the last seven months.”