WEFTEC.09—the Water Environment Federation’s (WEF) 2009 Technical Exhibition and Conference—is Sunshine State-bound. Approximately 20,000 international water and wastewater professionals are expected to gather in Orlando, Fla., for the 82nd annual event, which will be held Oct. 10 to 14 at the Orange County Convention Center. WEF promises attendees a world-class technical program, an extensive exhibit hall and assorted networking opportunities.
Learn & Earn
Brush up on your professional skills and acquire new knowledge: Join industry peers in attending WEFTEC.09’s diverse technical sessions and workshops. Some storm water-related opportunities to consider include:
- Workshop: Storm Water and Wet-Weather Approaches and Tools for Achieving Compliance. Oct. 10, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Workshop: Private Sewer Systems: Who Owns Them? Who Builds Them? Who Maintains Them? Oct. 11, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Session: Collection Systems Basics – Starting Your Best Management Practices. Oct. 12, 1:30 to 5 p.m.
- Session: The Future for Water Infrastructure Beyond the Stimulus Package. Oct. 13, 8:30 a.m. to noon.
- Session: Asset Management Meets GIS. Oct. 14, 8:30 a.m. to noon.
The event’s nine Orlando-area facility tours afford visitors the opportunity to visit and learn from other water operations. Host facilities include: Altamonte Springs Water Reclamation Facility, the Orlando Easterly Wetlands and SeaWorld. Limited numbers of tickets are available for purchase.
An additional resource is WEFTEC’s annual water quality exhibition—the largest of its kind worldwide. In 2008, the more than 290,000-sq-ft exhibit hall hosted a record-breaking 1,111 companies.
Mix & Mingle
From students and operators to new WEF members and job seekers, WEFTEC.09 offers a special event for everyone. When planning your agenda, consider the following options:
- First Timers’ Orientation. Oct. 11, noon to 12:45 p.m.
- Opening General Session featuring veteran health care leader and author Dr. Mike Magee. Oct. 12, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
- Students and Young Professionals Networking and Career Fair. Oct. 12, 1 to 4 p.m.
- New Member Celebration. Oct. 12, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Water for People Gala. Oct. 12, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Operations Challenge ’09. Oct. 13, 9:15 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- WEF Awards and Presidential Celebration Reception and Ceremony. Oct. 13, 4:30 to 5:45 p.m.
Editor’s note: WEFTEC.10 will take place Oct. 2 to 6, 2010, at New Orleans’ Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
For more information and to register and create a personalized schedule, visit www.weftec.org.