Multi-barrier filtration system offers algae bloom solution
The news is filled with incidence of algae blooms in lakes and ponds, such as the past drinking water issue in Toledo. Harmsco Filtration Products offers a solution to the ever increasing blue-algae blooms in water sources. A multi-barrier approach is necessary to physically remove intact (algae and cyanobacteria) before they rupture in the treatment process and then remove extracellular cyanobacteria through adsorption.
Harmsco offers a 2-stage system approach to accomplish this multi-barrier requirement. A pre-filter to remove the intact algae includes filtration media with Silver Zeolite incorporate in the media, which will inhibit continued algae growth on the filter cartridge.
A final filter with activated carbon adsorbs any remaining metabolites, such as taste and odor compounds and cyanotoxins. Applications include drinking water, irrigation, livestock drinking water and state parks.
- A pre-filter that contains silver zeolite technology to protect filter media;
- Anti-microbial media to inhibit continued algae growth on the filter cartridge;
- Anti-microbial media for easy cleaning for extended use; and
- Activated carbon to remove extra-cellular cyanotoxins.
If large amount of green scum are visible in the water, it is advisable to take the following precautions:
- Avoid swimming or other contact with the water;
- Do not drink the water (boiling or chlorination will not make the water safe);
- Prevent pets or livestock from drinking the water, as this could be fatal to animals; and
- Do not eat fish that appear unhealthy.
Blue-green algae can cause illness, such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, eye and skin irritation.