Jul 10, 2020

Welcome, Hurricane Season

This editorial letter appeared in SWS July 2020 issue as "Welcome, Hurricane Season"

Katie Johns

As I write this on June 3, it is the third day of the 2020 hurricane season, and already, there have been three named storms. NOAA’s climate prediction center is forecasting the 2020 hurricane season to be unusually active with potentially 13 to 19 named storms, of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes. In a press release, NOAA said for the Atlantic, “the outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.” As for the Central Pacific, NOAA said there is a 75% chance of near or below-normal tropical cyclone activity, and a 25% chance of an above-normal season. 

Hurricane season, and for that matter, flooding season throughout other parts of the U.S., comes just as the majority of the U.S. is beginning to emerge from stay-at-home orders and other precautions due to the new coronavirus, known as COVID-19. While mentioning and discussing COVID-19 might be becoming exhausting to some, it is still important to discuss how this pandemic is affecting our cities, companies and customers. There is no doubt the coronavirus will leave a mark on how we do business and networking, and working together will help us come to a new normal. 

Regardless of how the hurricane season plays out and how COVID-19 continues to unfold, 2020 will go down as a year that brought a lot of challenges, change and innovation to the storm water and erosion control industry and beyond. I am eager to see how the second half of the year unfolds. A lot of conferences planned for the fall and winter months are looking at using a hybrid method of both in-person and virtual networking and learning. Municipalities are continuing to keep residents and cities safe from coronavirus while also managing storm water and erosion control.

As cities and companies prepare for the summer and fall while still figuring out the balancing act of a pandemic with regular, routine work, we will continue to do our best in bringing you the most up-to-date and valuable information. 

As always, I hope you’re all staying safe and well. 

About the author

Katie Johns, Managing Editor, [email protected]

expand_less